Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

What is the difference in a private college and a state college.

What is the difference in a private college and a state college. To be more specific, Florida State (FSU), University of Florida (UF) and University of Miami (UM)? Aren't they all State colleges or is any one private?
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer.

FSU and UF are State schools. UM is a private school. Tuition at state schools are generally lower and they provide discounted tuition and financial aid to qualified Florida residents (in regard to the schools you mentioned, but the same holds true of any state school). Tuition at private schools is typically much higher, although they may offer some special scholarships to help defray the cost for students.

State colleges are 'public' (like public schools--high schools, elementary, etc.) and receive funding from the state, contributed to by the taxpayers of that state, and that is what allows them to charge less for tuition (although college tuition is skyrocketing all over the U.S.) and offer specific scholarships and grants to residents of that particular state.

Private colleges depend mainly on funds from tuition, in addition to private 'benefactors' or sponsors who make generous donations.

The information here, should be helpful:
http://www.careersandcolleges.com/tp2/cnc/articles/view.do?cat=admissions-questions&article=whats-difference-between-public-and-private-colleges

Please let me know if you need any additional information by clicking 'Reply'.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.

**To request me in the future, please type 'FOR CHER' to begin your question**

Best regards,
Cher