Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Teacher
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
46856550
Type Your Question Here...

what is valued added tax and how does it work.

A value added tax, also called a VAT is a consumption tax. As the buyer, it is the tax that is put on the purchase price of the item. As the seller, it is the tax on the "value added" to the product, material, or service, from their own accounting view, by the specific stage located in the manufacture or distribution of the product. The manufacturer had to give the government the difference between the two amount and is able to keep the rest for themselves to help offset the amount of taxes that they had previously paid on the inputs for their production.

Example - on an item with a 10% VAT:

• The manufacturer pays $1.10 ($1 + ($1 x 10%)) for the raw materials, and the seller of the raw materials pays the government $0.10.
  • The manufacturer charges the retailer $1.32 ($1.20 + ($1.20 x 10%)) and pays the government $0.02 ($0.12 minus $0.10), leaving the same gross margin of $0.20. ($1.32 - $0.02 - $1.10 = $0.20)
  • The retailer charges the consumer $1.65 ($1.50 + ($1.50 x 10%)) and pays the government $0.03 ($0.15 minus $0.12), leaving the same gross margin of $0.30 ($1.65 - $0.03 - $1.32 = $0.30).
  • The manufacturer and retailer realize less gross margin from a percentage perspective.

All the best in your studies. Please be sure to hit the green ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my post and ask "For Greg" for my professional homework help in the future. Good luck in your studies.