Anna
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
6012901
Type Your Question Here...

Can sugar be made from the quenepa fruit If it can, will the

Can sugar be made from the quenepa fruit? If it can, will the body assimilate it like sugar? Better? Worst?
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question earlier. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online and saw your question.

Technically, sugar can be made from any fruit or vegetable that contains it. However, with most of them, it would be very difficult, and not financially feasible. So far, the sugar beet and sugar cane are the only ones that are practical. The quenapa fruit contains a hight percentage of pulp, peel, and seeds, so sugar extraction would be difficult, and would require specialized equipment. Here is a site where you can read more about sugar refining:

http://www.hyfoma.com/en/content/food-branches-processing-manufacturing/confectionery/sugar-glucose-fructose/sugar-refining/

If the sugar were extracted, it would be assimilated by the body just as any other sugar. The end product will be fructose, or sucrose, regardless of what fruit is used in the beginning. I hope this helps.

Anna