A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
Type Your Question Here...

Pest control recommendation needed in Souhern California, ie.

Pest control recommendation needed in Souhern California, ie. hot and dry climate!

My husband has been bitten by what we think are bedbugs (at night, typical bite patterns) and the doctor has ruled out rash, hives etc. We have tried to find them for 5 weeks. No smell, no physical evidence in our bed, under chairs, along baseboard under carpeting etc. I am not getting bitten--or at least not reacting (although my skin has reacted in the past to bedbugs outside USA). We've tried frequent laundering, DE powder, Bed Bug Patrol. Time to call in the experts?

We live in a townhome complex of 24 units and have a home office that has a lot of computer equipment. I am afraid that even licensed companies may destroy our equipment--and our livelihood!
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. You have hit the nail on the head. It is time to call in the experts for an evalation of what kind of infestation you have. It isn't likely to be bedbugs since you aren't being bitten as well as your husband. Professional exterminators are accustomed to working in environments where there is computer equipment. If there is any doubt, you can always unplug and cover the equipment if they are using any kind of spray.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Schuyler,

I did explain why I didn't accept when I cancelled my subscription. I had hoped for some guidance on how to select the professionals--what to look for and what to avoid. We did that on our own and ended up with one company telling us we didn't have bedbugs and another saying that they would recommend a detector dog, but wouldn't guarantee 100% accuracy. Others we talked to on the phone said it is not common but possible for individuals not to react to bed bug bites. In other words, I was getting bitten but didn't know it. None of them even considered our home offices as possible areas to inspect.

My husband hasn't been bitten for 3 days now and we are keeping our fingers crossed! Any further thoughts? I'll wait for your response, then accept.

We who spend our time answering questions have no contact with customer service (the people you would have cancelled the subscription with). We know nothing about the financial end of the company at all, except we don't get paid for our time until a customer accepts an aswer.

However, you didn't ask for guidance in selecting a company. If that is what you wanted, that is what you should have asked for. All you asked was if it was time to call in the experts.

The detector dog is a good idea. Be sure that anyone you allow into your home is BBB affiliated. Any of the major national companies (Terminix for just one example that comes to mind) are reputable. Just Answer cannot recommend any specific company. That is just our policy.