Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Teacher
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
46856550
Type Your Question Here...

about two years ago, I purchased an all-leather belt, no metal

about two years ago, I purchased an all-leather belt, no metal buckle, so that I would not have to remove my belt to go thru screening. It worked fine a number of times. This last trip I took, security at Laguardia airport INSISTED I take off my belt, did not want to even listen to what I had to say. I figured it was New York. However, coming back from Seattle, at SeaTac airport, the same thing. Is this some new ruling? Can I no longer use my non-metallic belt? I bought it for my convenience but if I have to take it off, no convenience. Thank you for any suggestions/answers.
Category: General
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 5 years ago.
Hello... as a frequent flier, I have also seen an increase in the amount of security recently. It has been common to have to remove your shoes for quite some time but the belts are now also required at many major airports. If you notice on the signs, it will state to remove belts and shoes both while in the security line (along with other things such as taking your computers out of their cases and putting them into their own separate container).

I think it will be hit and miss on the belts but, as with shoes, you might just want to start taking off the belt along with the shoes to save the hassle of being asked to do it as you go through the scanner, especially since this might lead to additional screening.

All the best in your future travels.