Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

I have small flying bugs in my kitchen & living room. They

I have small flying bugs in my kitchen & living room. They don't look like fruit flies or gnats. I don't see any wings on them. Some are tiny & some are a little bigger. I have tried everything suggested about getting rid of fruit flies & gnats, but nothing is working. I tried bleach down the drains, I have no idea if they are coming from there. I threw away all fruit. I tried vinegar covered with plastic wrap. I tried windex. I bought things at the hardware store, they don't take the bait. Fly strips don't work. I put out scented dryer sheets. I cant find anything rotting there is no bad smell. I have no house plants. Any ideas what these small flying things can be & how to get rid of them?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 3 years ago.
Hi Bethbo, and welcome back to Just Answer.

Do you live on or near a source of water like a lake, canal, pond?

In which city/state do you live?

What color are the small, flying insects?

Thanks for all your additional detail.
Cher
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I live in West Virginia. I don't live near any water. They look black, but could be brown. They are small. When we eat they come to us. I burn vanilla candles & leave out those dryer sheets. I spray water that has vanilla added. I spray the windex around in the kitchen when I see them. I keep the kitchen very tidy so I have no idea what the source is.
Expert:  Cher replied 3 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks very much for your reply with additional and helpful information.

What you describe could be drain flies, which do live and breed in drainpipes. Pouring bleach down the drains was a good idea, but these flies live on hair and debris that accumulate in drains, so pouring a commercial drain cleaner safe for your pipes, into your drains to dissolve/eliminate any debris, would be a good idea. After you do that, following directions on the product, run very hot water in the drains, and/or pour boiling water down them to ensure they are truly clean.

Another possibility is a tiny flying insect called a 'midge' or 'no-see um'. You can read how to get rid of these here:
http://www.ehow.com/how_10023694_rid-midges-indoors.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_6086573_rid-see-um-bug.html

I hope this problem is resolved for you very soon!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns by clicking 'Reply'.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.

***If you wish to request me in the future, please type 'FOR CHER' at the beginning of your question***

Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried the drain cleaner & the hot water. Those don't look like the bugs.
Expert:  Cher replied 3 years ago.
Hi again, Beth, and thanks for your reply.

The main thing is to identify what they are and then you will know how best to get rid of them, so the next step should be to hire an exterminator to come to your home to see them in person and determine what the tiny flying bugs are; then you will be given a solution to get rid of them. Another alternative is to catch one or two in a plastic ziploc bag and bring them to a nearby college or University for identification by their entomology department. Once they are positively identified, you will know how to best eradicate them.

If they are not coming from the drains, they have to be coming in from outside, and since they are so tiny, they can probably fit through screens or just come in whenever the door is open. Of course, if you have no screens on your windows and the windows are open, this is another source for them to come inside.

I hope you are able to get rid of these pests real soon!

Regards,
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist