Family Physician, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Researching answers to questions online for 20+ years.
Type Your Question Here...

I own property that can be hunted good hunting. Just wanting

I own property that can be hunted good hunting.

Just wanting to let someone bow hunt during that part of the hunting season.
There is someone running a ad in the paper for just that.
I was wondering what to charge and how to tell they are honest good people?
Category: General
Expert:  Family Physician replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question:

What part of the country do you live?

How much property?

What type of hunting (deer, small game, etc)?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I live in NW Missouri.

280 acres

Their wanting to bow hunt deer and turkey.

There are a number of issues to consider before you make this decision. The most important issue that immediately comes to mind is legal liability. (FYI - I am not an attorney, but I am aware of the risks).

I am not familiar with the legal issues that might present in Missouri, but this link describes some of issues associated with letting individuals hunt on your land. This link is specific to New Hampshire, but the same principles likely apply in MO.

I would bring your attention to this particular portion of the page:

If a hunter gets hurt on my land, am I liable?

No. Under RSA 212:34, a landowner owes "no duty of care to keep such premises safe for entry or use by others for hunting, fishing, trapping" or other recreational uses.

But there are some exceptions. A landowner has a duty to warn about any dangerous conditions or use that may exist.

Let's say you have a large old well on your land, and you don't take precautions to warn people about it. A hunter comes by and falls in the well, suffering serious injuries. You could be liable - and could pay civil damages - for not providing warnings or other safeguards about the hazard.

Another exception is for landowners who charge admission to people to use their land for hunting or other activities.

For this reason, I would suggest consulting with an attorney in your area BEFORE you charge anyone to hunt on your land. You would likely be well advised to have a signed contract with associated release from liability AND possibly even consider purchasing insurance that would specifically cover any injury for this "commercial" use of your property.

Here is a link that is more specific to your situation - from the UM