Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

I have just moved into an old Rectory which has a good fruit

I have just moved into an old Rectory which has a good fruit orchard & soft fruit bushes, but I have found a couple of shrubs with fruit I have been unable to identify (even on the internet) The shrubs have quite large thorns but smallish leaves, the fruit is small about the size of a golf ball, gloden yellow in colour, I believe it is ripe as the fruit is now starting to fall, the skin is tough & slightly 'greasy' inside the flesh is white & I did taste it, not unpleasant but very like a lemon. the fruit grow in pairs either side of the stem, what is it?
Thanks Katie
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi Katie, and welcome to Just Answer.

It's possible that the fruit you have come across is a quince. It does have a golden outside, white flesh, a very tart flavor, and is typically not eaten raw. You can read more here:

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns by clicking 'Reply'.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.

***If you wish to request me in the future, please type 'FOR CHER' at the beginning of your question***

Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Cher,

I did wonder if it was a quince, but all the discriptions I have read discribe a 'tree' not a bush & none say it has thorns? I have seen quince many years ago, but the fruit was much larger, but as far as I can remember it was very similar, So is it a quince bush with thorns?

Many thanks Katie

Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again Katie, and thanks very much for your reply.

I was offline when you posted back, so I also thank you for your patience. We are in different time zones--I'm in the U.S.

Quince can grow on small trees or large bushes/shrubs. Yes, what you describe sounds a little smaller and the quince is about the size of a small apple, but the other descriptions you included, match almost exactly. The fruit ripens in late August, it's skin is leathery and golden yellow and it has white flesh with a taste similar to lemon. The ornamental quince bushes which flower, are loaded with thorns. You may have a 'hybrid' of ornamental and fruit bearing quince bush.

Best Regards,