Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...
General

Tapping sap from coconut palms. I live on the pacific coast

Tapping sap from coconut palms.
I... Show More
Tapping sap from coconut palms.
I live on the pacific coast of Guatemala, a country with no tradition in making palm wine. It is however a common and popular drink in Africa and India. The best instruction I could find on the web of how to tap it is this: "The methods of tapping the coconut palm are very ancient. When the palm has reached the normal bearing stage, every leaf axis produces a spadix or inflorescence. This unopened flower (spathe) is prepared by slightly brushing it with gentle taps of small mallet. To prevent it from opening, the spathe is slightly bound round with fibre. When the spathe is nearly ready to produce toddy, which is after about three weeks, about two to three inches is cut from the end. During the preparation the spathe is gradually bend over, so that by the time toddy flows, a receptacle can be placed at the end for its collection." http://drjohnjlal.wetpaint.com/page/Coconut+palm+wine+(Toddy)
I've tried to bend this spathe over and cut it, but not a single drop comes out. Have you got an expert on this?
Category: General
replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer.

This is a tedious and time consuming method which requires daily work to prepare the spathe and the very gradual bending of it. The information at the site below seems more specific in instructing you what to do to get the sap from the coconut palms for wine making: http://www.bioline.org.br/request?nd04007

If you need additional information, please click REPLY.

If this answer has been helpful, please click ACCEPT, as this is the only way I am compensated by Just Answer for helping you.

Best regards,
Cher