Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

Dont know if you have a gardening expect. If you do here

Don't know if you have a gardening expect. If you do here is my problem,. My lilac bush has leaves that are curling up. No change in color, just curling. What would cause this?
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 5 years ago.
Hello, welcome to Just Answer.

I have 2 lilac and used to have more. How old is your lilac, how tall, what kind of soil do you have, was pesticide used around this year or last year?

Also, what was the weather for you most of the summer and in the last weeks?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not really sure how old the bushes are. I would say at least 10+years old, they are approx. 11-12 feet tall. Have not tested soil, but seems pretty good but really hard. There is a field across the street that they spray for crops but I do not know what they use.

2 lilacs are together and the affected area strated on one branch on the west side and was like that most of the summer. In the last 2-3 weeks the surrounding branches are starting to show signs of curling. Same side. ?????
Expert:  Martin replied 5 years ago.
I don't think the field is close enough to be the cause.

If you don't see some kind of canker it might be a borer larvae. Those trees are really resistant it take a lot to kill one, so it might come back as new in the spring.

It's possible that the initial cause was a drought. As you mention that the soil is very hard (it may contain clay) it can take quite a while for the water to reach the roots even after a big rain if the soil got dry many inch deep.

Another drought related possibility is dry air if your dominant wind come from the West. You could spray it's leaf each 2 days if this is the case.

It might also be Verticulum Wilt :
That is really hard to treat and not obvious to detect without lab testing. Sulfur on the soil may not treat the problem but may help the tree to fight better if it's the problem.