Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

how do buddhists celebrate birthdays

how do buddhists celebrate birthdays?

Hello, and welcome to Just Answer.

Typically, on birthdays, Buddhists practice social generosity, i.e. gift giving, as tokens of friendship and family association; this is done to re-establish connections. Buddhists believe generosity brings joy to the heart. In their culture, many Buddhists don't celebrate their birthdays in the same sense as Christians or other religions do.

However, some Buddhists do celebrate the day of their birth in a more traditional way, similar to the way we are accustomed, especially in America. Buddhists will try to do good deeds on their special day and believe it is even more special to do this on their birthday, in order to receive blessings. Traditionally, many Buddhists visit temples to pray or pray/meditate in a special area of their home on their birthdays.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns by clicking 'Reply'.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.

***If you wish to request me in the future, please type 'FOR CHER' at the beginning of your question***

Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the answer.

Might you possibly come up with a few more specific customs (if there are any)?

Hi again Mark, and you're most welcome.

Thanks for your reply and your patience; I was offline when you posted back.

I will research this further for you and get back to you soon.

Hi again Mark, and thanks for your patience.

Another custom I have found, which is performed on birthdays, is called 'animal liberation'. As you know, Buddhism is a religion practiced in many countries. This is part of the birthday celebration in Thailand:

Usually the parents and relatives of the birthday celebrant purchase a number of birds or fish equivalent to the person’s age (this is typical for children's birthdays). They add one extra, as a good luck charm for the next year, as they would want to see the person live another year with them. Some blessed water is then sprinkled onto the creatures by the birthday celebrant who frees them into the water or air, according to the nature of the creature. The myth behind this method of celebration is that it is pleasing to the Gods.

I hope this was of additional help to you.

Best regards,