Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...

I have a question about my evergreen tree

What is your question?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have a spruce tree, the botXXXXX XXXXXmbs on one side are now bare, and there is yellowing and some dark brown needles going up the tree. I have been trying to find something on the internet about it. The closes I have come is Rhizoneedlecast.

But they talk about little holes in the needles, and I haven't found any. I tried the white paper under a limb to see if there were mites, but can;t see any of them either.

Would it happen to be a blue spruce?

Did this all happen this year, or has it been more gradual?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, it is not a Blue, it reminds me of an old fashond christmas tree. And I have just noticed this lately. The tree isn't very old , I would guess 7 to 8 years maybe.
Thank you. Rhizoneedlecast doesn't always cause the tiny holes, so that could be what you are dealing with. There are other fungal diseases that cause similar symptoms. Fungicides are most effective in the spring, but you could go ahead and try one. Bordeaux mixture, other copper compounds, or chlorothalonil are most effective. They are available at garden centers and nurseries. However, if this were my tree, I would consult the County Extension Agent to get a definite diagnosis. There is no charge for their services. If you'll give me your state and county, I'll get contact information for you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I live in Missouri, but, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX just go into town and see what I can find out. we have a county extension agent here. I will take a limb along so he can see it.

Thanks again......................Vera

That's the best way to get a diagnosis. The agents are also very familiar with the local diseases, too. I hope you can save the tree.