How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jesse Handel Your Own Question

Jesse Handel
Jesse Handel, Scientist
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 309
Experience:  B.S. Degree Chem. & Bact. 10 yrs tax preparation.
Type Your Question Here...
Jesse Handel is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I drive a truck rated over #26000 GVW in MT without a CDL

Resolved Question:

Can I drive a truck rated over #26000 GVW in MT without a CDL if I own the truck and it is used for my personal use? I am not a farmer or rancher. I want to use it to move a trailer house I want to purchase, and also to move an old backhoe I use for personal use only. The trailer house will need an overwidth permit and is over 150 miles away. The truck has a dump bed on it and would be used for hauling dirt, gravel,garbage, supplies, ect. on occasions, but always for my personal use. I see other trucks with the words "NOT FOR HIRE" on them. Is that what is nessessary to operate a larger truck without a CDL? Also does the truck have to have a DOT inspection prior to operating it.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: General
Expert:  Jesse Handel replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for coming to Just Answer and letting us help you with your question. Unfortunately, the Montana traffic laws require a CDL to operate a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight over 26,000 lbs on public roads. It doesn't matter whether you are operating the vehicle commercially or for personal use. Here is a link to a website on the rules for a Montana CDL.

CFR Section 396.12 (Code of Federal Regulations Section covering the Department of Transportation requirements) exempts privately-owned and used vehicles or single vehicle operations from the inspection and record-keeping requirements that apply to commercial vehicles. So, while you will need a CDL to operate your truck, you won't have to comply with other DOT standards. However, if you pass a port of entry while operating your vehicle, you will still have to stop and explain that you are not part of a commercial operation. The website for the DOT rules can be found here if you want to read it for yourself or look for more information.

I hope this answers your questions. Please let me know if you need further information about this topic.

Jesse Handel and 38 other General Specialists are ready to help you

Related General Questions