A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
3157612
Type Your Question Here...

I repeat and ask the same q from earlier on. I have recovered

I repeat and ask the same q from earlier on. I have recovered an oil on canvas impressionist landscape painting 100 x 50 cm depicting a small inset figure of a woman returning to her woodland straw roofed cottage. There are two large trees in the foreground expertly detailed there is a still water beck and a sunset adding hues to the leaves fringes. It is signed Langer. I am trying to reference it. The scene is 19th century rural setting of a peasant woman returning home. The only name I can find whose work looks similar in style is Viggo Langer. Is my painting a Viggo Langer?
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. I haven't seen this question before. However, I can tell you that every Langer painting I've ever seen has been signed with his whole name "Viggo Langer" and the year it was painted. His paintings have been copied and reproduced and that may be what you have. There is really no way to say with certainty without being able to examine brush strokes, etc., but it doesn't seem likely that this is a Viggo Langer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thankyou for your remarks, the fact my painting is signed Langer and is very skillfully painted compels me to get further clarity from someone like Christies. I did try to upload a picture file of the painting but the just answer server only allows for a 1 Meg up-load. I will accept your answer, however, I still remain baffled to its provenance.

Thanks. I heard just this week that we will be upgrading file size to 5 MB so that should help in the future. Having Christies take a look at it would always be the best idea. There are a lot of forgeries out there and some of them are extremely well done. I've seen some beauties on ebay that would pass (at least in the close-ups on the computer screen) for Old Masters if they weren't signed by the current copier. I hope it turns out to be a Viggo Langer. His paintings are so beautiful.