Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

Would like a answer to a Gardening problem. How or what can

Would like a answer to a Gardening problem. How or what can I use to neutize a flower bed where cats have come and continually done this business (Poop) in one area of the flower bed. I have used cayenne pepper and store products . The only thing I have found to keep the cat away is bounce sheets for the dryer . I have tried to grow plants in the spot but they die soon after planting. Do you have a solulation. Thanks Gladys
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi Gladys, and welcome back to Just Answer.

First I would recommend removing as much of the solid waste/soil the cats have dirtied from the flower bed (if nothing is planted there now) and replace it with fresh soil. Next, place some mesh screening material or chicken wire over the soil so the cats can't scratch there. Cats like to scratch before they do their business and after, to cover it up; if they can't scratch, they will be encouraged to find another place to eliminate. The screening material will allow water, air and light to still enter the flower bed.

If this is possible with your garden set-up, get a motion-sensor sprinkler system called 'The Scarecrow', which will be set off everytime a cat (or other critter) walks on your property or near the flower bed. This has been proven to be a good deterrent. If the Bounce dryer sheets have been effective, keep that up as well.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns by clicking 'Reply'.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.

***If you wish to request me in the future, please type 'FOR CHER' at the beginning of your question***

Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,