Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...

I have a large oak tree. The bark on the lower base is falling

I have a large oak tree. The bark on the lower base is falling off in large chunks and some of the leaves have turned brown and fallen off. Is this a disease or a hot weather issue?
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question earlier. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online and saw your question. Some additional information will be useful.

Is the bark falling off the tree all the way around or only on one side?

Is it split open at any point?

Is there anything oozing from the trunk?

Do the leaves turn completely brown, or are there spots or patches?

In what state do you live? What has your weather been like?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I live in Kansas City, Missouri. The weather has been extremely hot in the region prior to noticing the bark falling off, the weather was in the 100's for numerous days in a row. This was unusual for our area. The leaves were not all brown, they were like an autumn leave with several colors, but mostly brown colors. There was no split, nor is anything oozing from the trunk. The bark has mostly fallen off on one side predominantly. The bark is falling off at the base of the tree.

Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. While it's impossible to make a diagnosis based only on an online description, there are pests of oak trees that feed on the leaves, and spread a fungus that could be causing the bark to fall off. High temperatures, especially when accompanied by humidity encourage fungal growth. I recommend that you contact your County Extension Agent. This is a government program that provided free assistance to gardeners and farmers. They may need a sample of the leaves and the fallen bark to make a diagnosis. Once you know exactly what is causing the problem, they will tell you what to do. Here is the contact information:

Clay County MU Extension Center
Clay County Annex, 1901 N.E. 48th Street
Kansas City, MO 64118
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>Fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>E-mail: [email protected]
Web site:

If you need anything else, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your tree will be fine.

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on the green ACCEPT button. Thank you.)