Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

How deep down do I own my property

How deep down do I own my property?
Category: General
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

please be more specific.

is there something under, or something you suspect to under your land you want to know if you own?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have no idea what is under my land. I'm just very curious as to the possibilities. Waiting for your answer. Thanks.
Expert:  Martin replied 5 years ago.

Your property paper should show that. You can have real estate (surface) and mineral right (all that is under). The two can be split and sold separately, when something like "fee simple" is on it it mean that the 2 are still together.

The concept is limited as how far you can go. Suppose all those around you also own the minerals. As the earth is round you then only own a part going from the surface ending at the center of the geographic center of the earth (not the same as the gravity center). As the crust move, this change all the time. Also does your land continue at the opposite just under a Chinese surface real estate? No international law is made for this.

In some places the land under you is not yours. For example the "loi des mines" (law of the mines) in Quebec allow anybody to buy a claim from the government to own what is under you (just like a mineral or oil claim on public land in the US). This law is terribly contested and will probably be changed very soon.
Martin, Engineer
Experience: i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting