TaxTom
TaxTom, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Years of experience of finding questions for employeers, family and friends.
21049508
Type Your Question Here...

Since end of February this year I work 3 days per week on casual

Since end of February this year I work 3 days per week on casual basis in accounts payable department. For some not known reason the employer does not want employ me with contract as part time. This means I do have no sick leave, holidays or other entitlements, however extra pay on hourly rate. Last week things went very bitter. I decided yesterday to see a GO who understands my situation and especially the dangers for my health when stress gets too much. E decided I shall not work for 2 weeks. How is the legal situation both ways? Can I decide to just not to go back after these 2 weeks? Can the employer decide from one day to the next that they don't want me to come back to my job? And can the employer out of frustration or disappointment (in case I decide to leave) say the wrong facts about me if a company where I want to apply for a job calls this employer? Thank you for your help. Bernadette
Category: General
Expert:  TaxTom replied 5 years ago.

TaxTom :

Hello, In most jobs if you do not have a contract an employer can change your hours or let you go at will. If they tell a future employer or potential employer something inaccurate then they can be liable but they can just say that you do not work well under stress and there would be little you could do. Thanks Tom