Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

My peach trees are all showing an exudation of jelly-like substance

My peach trees are all showing an exudation of jelly-like substance along the branches, and some at the base of t he tree. What is it, and how to I treat it.
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 5 years ago.
Hello, welcome to Just Answer.

This is very frequent for tree of the prunus family. This may be a reaction to visible canker (if you have dark material around the exudation). You may rub the area with a slightly sulfuric solution if it's the case.

It may be a borer larva (peach tree borer for the trunk or lesser peach tree borer for the branch). Those borer require insecticide endosulfan sold as Thiodan or Thiogard (lot of caution need to be used with those product). It's also possible to kill them in their hole with a sharp wire. You know when it's one if the jelly contain very small amount of "sawdust" like material.

It may be what i usually have on my bing and lapin cherry trees, simple sap going out from injury. It may come from damage from high wind, lot of ice in the winter or rapid growth of the tree. In such a case there is nothing to do, it's just part of the healing process.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have just a small orchard. I don't have all the chemicals, or know where to get them. What is a sulfuricsolution? And in looking for Thiodan or Thiogard, it seems the use is restricted. Any ideas where to get them?
Expert:  Martin replied 5 years ago.
Sulfuric as in containing sulfur. You can make some from matches or from garlic or onion juice (the tails contain sulfur also). Applied over a certain period of time it can really help to fight fungus and bacteria.

No need to use chemical if you don't have many trees. I have around 200 now in the orchard and i just do manual interventions. If it's borer, just try to locate hole and use the sharp wire trick.

But like i mentioned, it might also just be nothing. This can happen to young trees that grow too fast or if you use nitrate as fertilizer as this increase the tree intake in water and cause pressure increase in the sapwood.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

That is helpful, I grow lots of garlic and it would be a less expensive "cure". AM quite sure it is a peach borer, but we had a very wet early summer so the water intake could be part of the problem. I pruned out a few of the low branches that were full of "jelly" and found no more at present, but will file the sulfuric suggestion in case it appears again later. Will also try the sharp wire. Thanks.

Just wondering, could it be related to the massive infestation of 17 year locusts that occured in our area this spring? I have many old oaks and the numbers of insects were almost frightening as they crawled to the surface, matured, and bred and laid eggs on young branches. Much damage appears on the oaks and some lilac and young shrubs.

Expert:  Martin replied 5 years ago.
It's possible that the locust caused this if they chewed thin layer of bark. Their dejection may also have prevented the bark to dry well and promote fungus and bacteria if there was that many. It's hard to point to an exact cause.

If you still have the branches, you could always pass them on a band saw to see if you see canals into them. If there is, burn them (we should always burn them and any dead wood around when we have an orchard).

The thing to keep in mind is to make sure that the trees do a normal falls to have enough energy to quick back in the spring as it's there that most of the healing will take place (trees already started to slowdown in this time of the year).
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, you have been most helpful.