General Jay
General Jay, Problem Solver
Experience:  General contractor, project manager, excellent problem solving skills, retired professional athlete.
14716023
Type Your Question Here...

50 yr old grapefriut tree with a fungus

I have a 50 yr old grapefriut tree that has sections of branches with new fruit and new growth that is turning yellow and dying. The bark is oozing sap and peeling. I have been told it is root rot fungus. Can I save this tree? I can send pictures if that would help.
Category: General
Expert:  General Jay replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer!

There are a few measures to take with a citrus tree that has root rot. Everything that you have described is consistent with root rot. Ooze will seep from the dark brownish patches of bark and yellowing of new foliage and fruit.

The first step is to remove all of the leaves and the damaged fruit when it falls on the ground. You will also want to prune all of the tree branches so that the lowest branches are more than 2 feet off of the ground.

The tree should then be treated with a fungicide and followed up with another treatment of fungicide in the spring. This is to prevent a future reinfection.

I have attached the web address for a couple of products that can be used a fungicide to treat the citrus tree root rot. Copy and paste the web addresses into your browser to view.

http://www.treehelp.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=LG-3360

http://www.treehelp.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=BND-70171

Feel free to post any follow-up questions you may have.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was dissapointed in your answer. Yes you gave me web pages to search for a fungicide and to look up more info....but I could have done that myself. I was trying to find out if this desease can be curedand how? If it can't be cured and saved why should I spend more money on the tree. I will pay you but I was not happy with your answer.