Steve, Consultant
Experience:  Sub vet, motorcycle enthusiast, Harley mechanic, father of 4 beautiful girls, educated in electronics and nuclear technology.
Type Your Question Here...

I have a non- functioning garage door opener. The problem

I have a non- functioning garage door opener. The problem is not the remote nor the electricity or anything blocking the door track. I assume the difficulty originates in the opener circuit board although the light turns on when the switch is activated. Since this unit is over 25 years old approximately and does not have the electric eye sensors of today's units and given that the cheapest replacement circuit boards run $65 plus shipping, I think that I will just get a total new unit for $160. Because I am 70 years old, I was not anxious to rip out the old unit and install the replacement if I could just make a minor repair to the existing unit.
Category: General
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

the fact that the light activates when the button is pressed indicates the problem is in the opener itself.

the problem could be a bad relay inside the opener and if this is the case, it is most likely soldered in and not easily replaceable.

the unit also has OPEN and CLOSE limit switches to prevent damage to the door at the travel stops. it is possible the switches have failed and could be replaced.

if the door refuses to close, the close limit may be the problem. if the door refuses to open the OPEN limit may be the problem.

the unit should also have an over-torque switch that could have failed as well.

if thes are things you feel comfortable checking, you may be able to save yourself some money by repairing it yourself.

if not, the cost of having an electrician check it for you could easily exceed the price of a new unit.