Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

My redbud tree (Medford, Oregon) has damage on the lower trunk,

My redbud tree (Medford, Oregon) has damage on the lower trunk, perhaps caused during landscaping a year ago. I read that the loose bark should be trimmed, but no wrap should be used. Shall I use a fungicide? It appears to be pretty sick and I suspect bacteria or some sort has entered the wound. I will fertilize, but is there anything else to do?
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 5 years ago.
Hello, welcome to Just Answer.

A fungicide might be a good idea, but if you can expose the damage to the sun so that it can stay dry at all time it would be better. you may even put a small ridge of plastic over the area so that it get minimally wet when it rain. The wood is relatively hard so it should have the time to heal before insect or fungus get to it seriously.

If the damage is very close to the ground, you may remove a bit of soil to create more distance and keep the vegetation really short on that side of the tree.

At all time, don't use paint to protect the scar, it will do worst as it won't dry. Also mulch is not advised in that situation, if you have any you can remove it and put it back once it started to show sign of healing.

If bacteria got into the sapwood, then there is not much to do, but when that happen a tree die quite fast.