Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

Is it possible to chemically remove an entire blue ink background

Is it possible to chemically remove an entire blue ink background on a Pennsylvania Duck Stamp while leaving the border and subject matter in their original colors? I would like to know whether the stamp is a printing error or has been chemically altered. It is a U.S. mint stamp with original gum.
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer.

It would be unlikely that chemical removal of the entire blue ink background would successfully leave the border and subject matter in their original colors, plus leave the original gum intact. You might have a stamp with a printing error which may be worth quite a bit. However, this would need to be verified by an experienced philatalelist in your local area, so it would be a good idea to have it seen in person by a professional.

I hope it's worth a fortune!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns by clicking 'Reply'.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.
***If you wish to request me in the future, please type 'FOR CHER' at the beginning of your question***

Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is the basis for your answer since I will be asked to provide an explanation? I mistakenly refered to the stamp as a PA Duck Stamp. It is, however, a federal duck stamp.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
For Cher
I have not yet received an answer to my question from August 6. When may I expaect an answer?
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again,

I was not aware that you had not yet received an answer. I needed to 'opt out' of your question a few days ago, due to illness, leaving it open to all other available experts and placing it back on the 'open question' list. If no other expert has replied yet, unfortunately, I cannot tell you when you may receive an answer.

My apologies,
Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
To Cher
How shall we resolve the situation? I have no way to contact your firm except through you.I need to know how you reached your conclusion so that I may fiully understand your reply and pay you for your expertise.
You said I would be contacted by other experts, but I have not heard from anyone except you.
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hello again,

I'm sorry you had received no additional answers; unfortunately, that's completely out of my control. As I mentioned, I have not been online much, since the 6th, due to illness. I have come online now, to let you know that the basis for my answer was an experiment I read about, a while ago, re: chemically altering stamps (I can't locate the source now, as this was many years ago), and also, what I have read at this website: http://www.slingshotvenus.com/stamps/RW5altered.html

As I mentioned, if you can have the stamp evaluated in person by a Forensic Philatelic Investigator equipped with all the necessary tools for testing, that would be your best option to verify it's authenticity.

I hope this explanation will suffice, and I do certainly appreciate your patience, under the circumstances.

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
To Cher
The site to which you refered me was helpful. I appreciate your input.
I await your E-mail on the subject matter.
Ky