General Jay
General Jay, Problem Solver
Experience:  General contractor, project manager, excellent problem solving skills, retired professional athlete.
Type Your Question Here...

I had an area of garden with various shingles and small stones,

I had an area of garden with various shingles and small stones, but local cats have started to use the stones as a toilet. I have decided to replace the stones with turf. the area is 9' x 20'. I have removed a lot of the stones but quite a few remain. Is it O K to put down turf on top of stones or is it best to completely clear them. To remove them all would make the area lower than the lawn I wish to add to. Thankyou
Category: General
Expert:  General Jay replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer!

It is best to remove the stones and then use some fill dirt and topsoil to bring the area up to the grade of the lawn. This will give your new turf the proper foundation and soil to take root and grow. Be sure to water the newly laid sod adequately for the first week as well.

Feel free to post any follow up questions you may have.