Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...

Daylilies; after the first bloom what should I do next to keep

Daylilies; after the first bloom what should I do next to keep the plant blooming?
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.

There are different types of daylilies. Most have one bloom period, and no matter how much deadheading you do, when they finish blooming, that's the end of it until next year. Some daylilies are called 'everblooming.' Stella de Oro and Happy Returns are the most famous everbloomers, but there are many others. Everbloomers will continue to put out new scapes with buds until fall. Deadheading does encourage more blooms on these types. If you have everbloomers, remove the whole stem that had blooms on it. If you allow seeds to form, that will discourage more blooms. It's not too late as long as seeds haven't already formed. If your plants are not everbloomers, there is nothing you can do to make them bloom again. If you'd like a source of more everblooming daylilies, here's one:

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on the green ACCEPT button. Thank you.)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When you say if seeds have formed, is that the pod on the end of the stem? Do I leave that or remove the stem? Thanks
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Yes, it's the pod on the end of the stem. If you have everbloomers, cut it off. If they aren't everbloomers, it doesn't matter. If you don't like how it looks, cut it off. If you'd like to try to grow new plants from seed, let it mature. The following site tells you how to grow daylilies from seed, if you're interested. I've done it a number of times, and it isn't difficult.