Steve
Steve, Consultant
Experience:  Sub vet, motorcycle enthusiast, Harley mechanic, father of 4 beautiful girls, educated in electronics and nuclear technology.
11090168
Type Your Question Here...

My clock stopped and when I restarted it by starting the pendulum,

My clock stopped and when I restarted it by starting the pendulum, it will run for a short time and stop. What can I do to keep it running?
Category: General
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

the clock will either have hanging weights thet require raising, or it requires winding by a key.

does it have weights hanging from chains?

does it have a round hole in the face with a square fitting in the middle (for a key)??

once you wind the clock it should continue to run unkless it is broken and requires repair.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I have rewound the clock, restarted the pendulum and it doesn't run so the answer is not complete and does not solve the problem.
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

as stated in my previous answer, if the clock is wound and doesn't run, you need to take it to a clock repairman.

it is an indication of a malfunction with the mechanism.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is an unacceptable response so I guess I've wasted $15.
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

anything you do could irreparably damage the mechanism.

your problem could be anything from a broken or jammed mainspring to worn bearings(jewels) in the escapement.

if you try to force it into motion, you could easily bend or break something, ruining the movement.

unless the clock is battery operated, in which case you could change the batteries, but since you stated you wound it, that indicates it's a mechanical clock movement.

you really should have it looked at by a professional.

Steve