General Jay
General Jay, Problem Solver
Experience:  General contractor, project manager, excellent problem solving skills, retired professional athlete.
Type Your Question Here...

I have a wooden stair case with 14 steps which are covered

I have a wooden stair case with 14 steps which are covered with carpet. when you go up to the top 8 steps, they creak like hell!
How can I repair these creaks? or I was thinking about getting a hole new stair case to update it!
Category: General
Expert:  General Jay replied 5 years ago.
Do you have access to the top 8 steps from underneath the staircase?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I do. Its a pain in the butt, because Ive had to fill back in with plasterboard because I had to slice it off to get in there last time.
If you want to access the stairs from below then you can attach some L brackets or wood blocks to the underside of each step. Wood blocks can be cut to size and the glued under the tread and against the riser. Then screw through the wood block into the bottom of the tread and the side of the riser. Be careful not to insert the screw too far and go through the outer surface of the stairs.

You also have the option of attacking from the top of the step since they are covered with carpet. Pull the carpet back and then predrill holes in the tread. Nails or screws can then be inserted through the top of the tread into the riser. This will pull the two together and reduce the creaking. Predrilling the holes is important so you do not split the wood.

Feel free to post any follow-up questions you may have.