Jennifer SR
Jennifer SR, Consultant
Experience:  Professional Geologist, Exp. Manager, Great Research Skills
Type Your Question Here...

Need to identify strange "rock" I do have XRF element spec

Need to identify strange "rock" I do have XRF element spectrum"
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 5 years ago.
Hello, welcome to Just Answer.

You may try to give any data and picture that you have, the place where you found it etc.. and someone may look into this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am strictly looking for help to satisfy my curiosity as I think that I did find unusual specimen.

I am just an amateur gold hunter. I fished out a strange rock from a stream in Oregon that set off my metal detector. It does not attract a magnet but clearly it is metallic in nature.

Weight is approx. 12 LB, outside is black/gray and bumpy. There are some rust color deposits all around the rock and may be just from sitting in the water as it is fairly soft.
Upon further review and lateral cut it is dark gray with black and gray veins and also light grey patches.
I was able to run XRF spectral analysis that report these major elements:

2% Silver

8% Ruthenium

20% Titanium

2% Vanadium

25% Iron

1% Zinc

1% Gallium

10% Niobium

10% Molybdenum

3% Tin

2% Antimony

2% Tungsten

Additionally traces of Platinum, Yttrium, Cadmium and Indium are found in the specimen.

This almost sounds like a recipe for superconductor :)

Another noteworthy observation from running the specimen under the XRF analyzer and granted it is designed to be an alloy analyzer, is that there was very profound and distinct peak for Hydrogen.
Does this sound to you like a composition of any kind of terrestrial ore?

It does have a little bit of resemblance of meteorite fusion crust and that is why I am asking. Any kind of your help would be greatly appreciated.

Expert:  Martin replied 5 years ago.
I will think about it but right now i really can't see. I will opt out to let others a chance to answer in the light of the additional data you provided.
Expert:  Jennifer SR replied 5 years ago.
Hello, it sounds like you have found a terrestrial ore. The lack of nickel and the veins that are running through it make me think it isn't a meteorite. All iron meteorites contain nickel and most are magnetic. The crust is probably a product of the high iron content and sitting out exposed to oxidation instead of fusion crust. I hope this helps!
Jennifer SR, Consultant
Experience: Professional Geologist, Exp. Manager, Great Research Skills