General Jay
General Jay, Problem Solver
Experience:  General contractor, project manager, excellent problem solving skills, retired professional athlete.
Type Your Question Here...

I am carrying my Mothers Cremains on Continental airlines to

I am carrying my Mothers Cremains on Continental airlines to her home in Ireland. Continental approves!
The Cremains are inside a plastic box, inside a cardboard carton.
What is the proper procedure in taking them through screening? (Carry-on Baggage)
Category: General
Expert:  General Jay replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer!

The following explanation is summarized from the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).

The urn may be transported as checked baggage provided that it is successfully screened. The urn will be scanned for explosive materials/devices using a variety of techniques; if cleared, it will be permitted as checked baggage only.

The TSA suggests that you purchase a temporary or permanent crematory container made of a lighter weight material such as wood or plastic that can be successfully X-rayed.

The TSA official will not open the container to inspect, nor will documentation from the funeral home be sufficient. The container must be successfully screened prior to being allowed as checked baggage.

Attached is a link to the website for you to review if additional information is needed.