A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
3157612
Type Your Question Here...

Hi I have/own a 3Bdr 1Bthrm house in Melbourne Victoria, that

Hi I have/own a 3Bdr 1Bthrm house in Melbourne Victoria, that I want to spruce up to rent out.
Some walls are already papered and some are painted. The ceilings are pretty good throughout but probably need a lick of ceiling white to freshen them up....

I am renewing the existing kitchen/dining area with a flatpack makeover and replacing the vinyl flooring in the kitchen / dining - most likely with floating floor or vinyl.
The kitchen, in particular, needs to be painted or wallpapered?

My questions are many, however, it would be nice to know approximate costings for wallpaper/s and their installation in comparison with paints and their application....
Is it as simple as a price per meter squared of wall space comparison?

Many thanks in advance
MV
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. The cost of paint varies a bit, and so does its application (if you choose not to do it yourself) depending on whether you choose a high-end decorator or a college kid to apply it, and whether you are working with two-story ceilings, etc. Call a couple of places and ask them to come give you an estimate. Likewise, wallpapers can run from $10 to up to $10,000 per roll. The cost per meter is all going to depend on what kind of wallpaper you choose and how complicated the area in which you want to install it. There is no general "price per meter" installation of either paint or wallpaper. Just a tip though....buyers tend to prefer paint over wallpaper when buying a house. It is easier to change if their decorating colors don't go with what you've chosen. It is also a lot cheaper for you to buy and use on a house you are selling.