Ellen, Consultant
Experience:  attorney and legal researcher
9968427
Type Your Question Here...

I asked a question the other day about my father passing away

I asked a question the other day about my father passing away . He was a co owner of a mobile home in the state of Florida with his sister that doesnt live here in the USA, she lives in England. She is planning on selling the mobile home and there are 2 deeds that are the same. Both stating my dads name first or his sister, next. I received an answer that was a little unclear. Does it matter its a mobile home . I(son) was the primary caretaker and was a resident here for the last 8 months to spend time and take care of him cause my dad had terminal cancer. Wishing and asking him to make a will or put something on paper, that didnt happened cause he had a hard time believing he was that sick. I was wondering if myself or my brother that are next of kin, would be entitled to any part of the sale of the mobile home. Thank u!
Category: General
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

internetanswers :

*Due to rules of your state bar or mine, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, only intended as general information to better help yourself.*

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

internetanswers :

Was the mobile home owned jointly between your father and his sister?

Customer:

Yes but i believe his sister was put on the deed about a year ago cause my father was diagnosed with cancer. Otherwise he was the only person on the ded

internetanswers :

Do you know whether the deed states "father and sister as joint tenants" or whether it states "father and sister as tenants-in-common"

Customer:

The certificate of title states - Registered Owner with my dads name first or his sisters name

Customer:

I dont see anything saying joint tenants

Customer:

Its a mobile home

internetanswers :

Unfortunately the "OR" means that the mobile home transfers to your fathers sister by operation of law. This means that it does not go through probate and is entirely the property of your father's sister. You would not be entitled to any portion of the sale.

internetanswers :

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Customer:

I understand and thank u for your help. I wanted to know what the law was and u helped me out about it. thanks again

internetanswers :

It has been my pleasure to work with you

Thank you in advance for remembering to click accept. If you experience difficulty using the accept button, please let me know as JustAnswer pays me for my time only if the "accept" registers..

Please let me know if I can assist you in the future by requesting me directly.

Customer:

ok