Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

How to obtain a salvage title

How to obtain a salvage title?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer.

What State do you live in?

Thanks,
Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
New York State, I have a vehicle with bill of saleand no title or registration. Has been transferred by several dealers then a private person who never registered it. Title has been lost or didn't have. Has not been registered in at least 5 yrs, probably more.
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply with additional information.

If the vehicle has no current title or registration and you believe it had not been registered in at least 5 years or longer, and it is a salvage vehicle, you will need to have it 'examined' in person by the New York State DMV before a new title or registration can be issued. You can read more about the requirements of the salvage examination, here:
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/salvexam.htm

You can also find the contact phone numbers and email addresses for the DMV at the link above, if you have further questions about this process.

I wish you much good luck!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns by clicking 'Reply'.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there anyway tootain a title without any old owners title? I believe it was destroyed. I'm not sure the salvage title will work as it was not initially declared as salvage. What do you think?
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.

If the original owner's title was destroyed or can't be found, the vehicle will need to be 'traced' somehow, through it's VIN number. Once the last registered owner and/or sales history of the vehicle is established, you may be able to apply for a new title/registration if the vehicle was never stolen and you have the current bill of sale, identifying you as the owner. If it was not initially declared as salvage, the salvage title would not work, as you suspect.

The best alternative would be to trace the original title through the VIN number, via DMV records.

I hope everything works out for you!

Best regards,
Cher