Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...

iwant to find flowering small plant for a planter that has

I want to find flowering small plant for a planter that has limited space but evening sun.Will a bouganvilla bonsai plant live under these conditions?  I live in Hawaii where flowers can grow much of the year.  The planter is an outdoor planter exposed to wind and mostly to evening sun. Meriam and I are wanting to overhaul the planter and change out the plants.  It has too many yucca plants,  We want flowering plants with bright color.  We are open to suggestions.Thankyou,  Rebekah
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.

I'm sorry to see that no one has responded to your question earlier. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online and saw your question.

Bougainvillea are rather touchy plants, but if you have green thumb, you'll be able to grow one. They require a soil pH of 6.5 - 7.5. Fertilizing is necessary to keep your bonsai happy, healthy and beautiful. Fertilize with a balanced 12-10-10 monthly during the growing season. The plants need well-drained soil because being too wet leads to fatal root diseases, but not enough water stresses the plant too much. Full sun is best, XXXXX XXXXX you only get evening sun, that probably won't be adequate.

If it sounds like bougainvillea aren't right for you, you may want to consider one of the smaller varieties of hibiscus. Lantana is another tropical flowering plant that comes in bright colors. If you want sources, photos of the plants, or more information on these, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.