Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...

Also a gardening query several of my mature peony bushes have

Also a gardening query: several of my mature peony bushes have developed a rather dusty appearance, that is, rather than the nice green color the leaves normally have year after year, these .leaves almost appear to have a "frost" on the dull green foilage. What is this? WhAT DO i DO?
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Hello again,

I've also posted an Information Request on your tomato question, and would like to help you with this one as well. Do your peonies look like the one in this photo?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, my peonies do look like this.
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. That is powdery mildew. It affects many species of plants, and is more common on peonies if the season is wetter or more humid than usual, the plants have grown so much that they touch each other (not allowing for good air circulation), or if they are shaded for part of the day. The recommended treatment is a fungicide called triforine. One brand is Ortho® Rosepride®. Powdery mildew doesn't usually kill plants or do permanent damage, but it is very unsightly. In the fall, when you do your garden clean-up, be sure to destroy the affected plant parts rather than leaving them in place or composting them. I hope you can quickly get the problem under control.