Anna
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
6012901
Type Your Question Here...

This is a gardening question. I have a tomato plant that I

This is a gardening question. I have a tomato plant that I grow in a large container on my porch. There are two types of tomato plants, and although they both are starting to get tomatoes, the one's leaves are curling inward, and there are some small brown spots on the leaves. I have watered correctly, fertilized, kept them is the sun at least 8 hours a day. What could be the problem with the one plant? As I said, the other one in the same pot is fine.
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry to see that no one has responded to your question earlier. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online and saw your question. Some additional information will help me to answer your question.

Do the little brown spots have some yellow in the center, or do they have any yellow on the outside edges?

How big are the spots?

Are any of the leaves actually turning brown?

Thank you.

Anna
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No yellow in the center. Small spots. Leaves are curling, but not brown, ecept for the small brown spots.
Expert:  Anna replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. The tomato has what si called, appropriately enough, leaf roll disease. This is a very common condition. Usually as the plant grows, the new leaves will not be affected. In most cases, it doesn't cause the plant to produce less. Leaf roll is considered a cosmetic problem.

The little brown spots may be a sign of blight. If yellow appears around the spots, that is a telltale sign of early blight. It is a fungus and can be treated with fungicides such as Maneb or Zineb. You could dust the plant now, just in case, or keep an eye on the situation for now. If the spots don't get bigger, you're probably not dealing with blight.

Different varieties of tomatoes have varying degrees of resistance to these conditions. Apparently your other plant is more highly resistant. In the future, you might want to avoid buying the variety that is having problems. If you ahve more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY.

Anna
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience: Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.