Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

I have a yellowish mold growing on top of the soil that my

I have a yellowish mold growing on top of the soil that my tomato plant which is in a container, it all most looks like cake (spongy). I have tomatoes that are almost ripe. What is this mold or fungus?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

What you are seeing may be saprophytic mold, which is not harmful to your tomato plant. Because plant soil is organic, it is susceptible to mold growth. It should disappear on it's own after completing it's life cycle, but you can continue to scrape it off, as it is unsightly.

If you only see this on top of the soil and not on the leaves, stems or the tomatoes themselves, it should not be damaging to your plant.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns by clicking 'Reply'.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.

***If you wish to request me in the future, please type 'FOR CHER' at the beginning of your question***

Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,
Cher