TaxTom, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Years of experience of finding questions for employeers, family and friends.
Type Your Question Here...

I need to register my car but the tags have been expired since

I need to register my car but the tags have been expired since 2005, do I have to pay extra fees?
I also have a reconstructed vehicle, does that make a difference in the taxes I pay on it, since its not really all the same vehicle
Category: General
Expert:  TaxTom replied 5 years ago.
Hello, What state do you live and are the tags from the state you currently live? Thnaks Tom
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I live in kentucky, my tags are from alaska
Expert:  TaxTom replied 5 years ago.
Hello, Since your vehicle was never reistered in Kentucky you should be able to register by paying normal fees and a late registration fee (which I have not been able to determine). Kentucky's fees are very reasonable and usually run under $25.00 a year. Since this is an out of state vehicle it will be required to be inspected and here is what else is required, thanks Tom

" If you own your car (not leased), have no liens on the vehicle, and have possession of the title you will need:

• a certified inspection from the sheriff's office from the county of your new residence.
  • original out-of-state title
  • original registration receipt
  • original current proof of Kentucky insurance (copy not allowed)
  • proof of sales/usage/use tax paid to the previous state
  • picture ID or driver's license
  • money to pay applicable fees and taxes"
Expert:  TaxTom replied 5 years ago.
Hello again, That it has been rebuilt will not effect your cost they go by the information from the title. Tom