Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

I accidentally destroyed my florida drivers license

I accidentally destroyed my florida drivers license and registration. I am in new Jersey now and need replacement. I tried yesterday to do it on the internet but was unsuccessful. Will you tell me how to do it by mail and what information I need to send you. My drivers license #sxxx 2002 Honda 4 door vinxxx THANKS FOR YOUR HELP shirley fort myers.
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi Shirley, and welcome to Just Answer.

I'd love to help, but just have a few questions for you, before I can send a complete answer:

Are you still a Florida resident and visiting New Jersey?

Was your Florida driver's license and registration expired, or up to date and not in need of renewal at the time they were accidentally destroyed?

Thanks for all your additional information.
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, Shirley.

If you have a lost (or stolen) driver's license, you can do the following, according to the Florida DMV, to get a duplicate:

(from http://www.dmvflorida.org/renew.shtml)

"If you are in Florida, you must go to your local driver license office and apply for a duplicate driver license. The fee is $25.00 unless you have a copy of a police report when applying. You must also bring indentification and proof of residense documents.

If you are out-of-state and need a replacement Florida drivers license, you can only receive a 90-day temporary permit. There is no fee for this permit. To request one, you can call(NNN) NNN-NNNNor mail a request to Bureau of Records, 2900 Apalachee Parkway, MS 92, Tallahassee, FloridaNNN-NN-NNNN You must include your full name, date of birth, social security number, Florida driver license number and an out-of-state address. To receive a new drivers license you must be present at a driver license office in the state of Florida."

As you can see, you can obtain the temporary duplicate license, but is only good for 90 days; then, to get your new license replacement, you will need to do it in person at a DMV office in Florida.

To replace your registration:

"A vehicle registration may be duplicated at any county Tax Collector Office or License Plate Agency for the fee of $5.00 or from the departments website"

It appears that you can only do this in person, but if you get in contact with the DMV in Tallahassee at the above number, I'm sure you can find out more, considering your extenuating circumstances, being in New Jersey at this time.

I wish you much good luck and hope you are able to get a duplicate license and registration without too much trouble!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns by clicking 'Reply'.
I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.

***If you wish to request me in the future, please type 'FOR CHER' at the beginning of your question***

Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!
Best regards,
Cher