Family Physician, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Researching answers to questions online for 20+ years.
Type Your Question Here...

How is the MS in Biotechnology program at Georgetown University Is it worth all the tuiti

How is the MS in Biotechnology program at Georgetown University? Is it worth all the tuition fees?
Category: General
Expert:  Family Physician replied 3 years ago.
What is your educational background?

What work experience if any do you have?

What are your career goals?

How old are you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll turn 23 this September. I'll receive my Bachelors in Science (honours)in Medical Biotechnology degree this August. My GPA is 3.94/4. I do not have any professional work experience but I've received month long trainings in Biochemistry, Microbiology, Genetics and Reproductive Biology Labs at reputed hospitals at the end of my 1st and 3rd year of undergraduate study.I've assisted post graduate students on their genetic research project last year. Also I've just recently finished a Microbiology research project at the end of my 4th year.
I wish to become a research scientist in the field of oncology after completing my Masters.
I had applied to 3 universities for their MS in Biotechnology program:
1. Georgetown Univ, Washington DC- Accepted
2. Univ. of Pennsylvania -Not approved due to stiff competition
3. Johns Hopkins Univ. - They have not rejected me but have asked me to submit my GRE scores for the admission review process to resume. Admission into the MS in Biotechnology program at Johns Hopkins does not require GRE scores. But they can ask for it if they feel more information is required to reach a decision. My GRE scores are not competitive (1140 and 1220) since I never got time to prepare for the exam. I feel they might reject me. Nonetheless I've forwarded my scores to them. I'm assuming it will take them 3 more weeks to decide on my case.
In the meanwhile I do not know what to do with the admit from Georgetown univ (GTU). If I have to take admission there I should decide by tom latest and send them my financial documentation, so that they can process the I20 form and mail it to me and so I can apply for visa and other formalities. I should reach washington by 13th of august. I'm thoroughly confused whether to take admission in GTU- Which is not that highly ranked in biological sciences or apply again with a better profile next year. Please help.
Thank you for the additional information.

While there may be some difference in the reputation of the 3 programs that you have selected, I believe each of these programs would be considered a quality program.

Unfortunately, you are in a situation where there is no "perfect" answer. I guess the important point here is determining what you would do for the next year if you were to wait. If you turn down the acceptance at Goergetown, and subsequently received a rejection from Johns Hopkins, what would you do for the next year while waiting to reapply - hopefully with more competitive GRE scores?

If you have a reasonable and appropriate job opportunity (one that might you even more competitive in the admission process) and/or a job that would help you prepare better financially for graduate school (allow you to save money for tuition and living expenses), then this may not be a bad option. HOWEVER, if you are essentially going to "waste" the year waiting, this may not be the best option.

There is old proverb; A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. In other words, you have been accepted to a respected program in biotechnology which will more than adequately prepare you for employment in this field (or for further study leading to a PhD) and you should not necessarily wait for something "better" to come along. It is always possible that Johns Hopkins would reject you again next year too.
Family Physician, Internet Researcher
Experience: Researching answers to questions online for 20+ years.