FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Consultant
Experience:  attorney and legal researcher
9968427
Type Your Question Here...

A British gentleman had approached me with a business proposal.

A British gentleman had approached me with a business proposal. He wants to transfer the sum of $50 Million into my personal account in Saudi Arabia with the objective of investing it in any viable project. He had sent me a signed "TRUST CONTRACT AGREEMENT" to counter sign and "AFFIDAVIT OF OATH". Both of these documents carry the seal of the "COMMISSIONER FOR OATH". I can send you copies of these two documents, if you so wish. He also had sent me copy of his British Passport.
My questions
1/ How can I be certain the above documents are indeed genuine ?
2/ What other documents or procedure I should follow to ensure I am protected and receive above fund without being questioned or the fund is blocked by my country monetary authorities ?
3/ What is your advice of handling above transaction safely (e.g. opening an overseas bank account) ?
Thank you
Category: General
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 3 years ago.

This appears to be a common scam that reappears in many places and under many names. You can read about similar scams at the Internet Crime Complaint Center.

Eventually the con artist will send you a cashier's check or money order and request that you deposit it the check and send back a portion of the funds. At sometime in the future - after you have sent the money - you will find that the check you deposited was fraudulent and the money will be assessed against you.

Here is the site to file a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center: http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx

Wish I had better news.
FiveStarLaw, Consultant
Experience: attorney and legal researcher
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I appreciate your prompt opinion, but I think your opinion overlooked some facts about this particular case, viz:
  1. The Gentleman sent copy of his passport (I think Scammers will not do this)
  2. He had sent copies of "Trust Contract Agreement" duly signed by him and "Affidavit of Oath". Both documents carry the seal of the Commissioner For Oath.
  3. The fund will be transfered bank to bank (i,e, no check to be deposited). In addition he never asked to send him a portion of the fund and even if he does, I will never send him any money before the fund is cleared and credited to my bank account in good order
  4. Kindly respond to the 3 questions I sent you in my first email
Thank you,
  1. The Gentleman sent copy of his passport (I think Scammers will not do this) He sent you a copy of a passport - how do you know it is him?
  2. He had sent copies of "Trust Contract Agreement" duly signed by him and "Affidavit of Oath". Both documents carry the seal of the Commissioner For Oath. This is typical and does not mean that it is not a scam
  3. The fund will be transfered bank to bank (i,e, no check to be deposited). In addition he never asked to send him a portion of the fund and even if he does, I will never send him any money before the fund is cleared and credited to my bank account in good order Even a wire transfer can be reversed if fraudulent- this can happen months after the money "cleared".
Thank you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
  1. I find it hard to understand your statement" Even a wire transfer can be reversed if fraudulent- this can happen months after the money "cleared".Can you please explain how this could happen ?
  2. It looks your opinion is based on suspicion of scam. Is there any overwellming solid proof that this is indeed a scam case ?
Thank you
1. A fraudulent transaction can be reversed. It is similar as to a 3rd party who purchases stolen items without knowledge that the items were stolen. The third-party would lose the items to the rightful owner.

2. My opinion can only be based on suspicion of scam since I am not reviewing the books and records involved. I can tell you that I see 3 to 5 questions a week with facts similar to yours