Kim D., Consultant
Experience:  Researcher 25 yrs in small and large institutions
Type Your Question Here...

I would like to know the worth of a 1989 Limited Edition Retired

I would like to know the worth of a 1989 Limited Edition Retired Porcelain Scarlett O'Hara doll made by (I think, but not 100% sure) the Franklin Mint Gold Standard Heirloom doll collection. She is 21" tall. She wears a paisley dressing gown that she supposedly wore while welcoming Rhett and Bonnie Blue home from London. It is trimmed with soft faux fur, golden braid, delicate ivory lace ruffles and partially lined with gold satin. Underneath, Scarlett wears a white batiste nightgown and bloomers brimmed with lace as well. She is placed on a wood-based stand that has a gold sticker that says "Franklin Heirloom Dolls." She is in excellent condition, but unfortunately, I do not have the box or the paperwork for her.

Scarlett O'Hara dolls in this large size were popular after 1965. The Franklin Mint made them along with Madame Alexander, Mattel and other doll makers. They are very hard to find in price guides but the general doll value for these in pristine condition in 525.00-650.00. So your find on the internet in the original box is "spot on" with the price guides.

If you do not have the original box but everything is in original and mint condition, I would estimate that this would have a value in the range of 450.00-500.00 as the doll is really the significant collector item. Boxes do enhance the value but a beautiful doll in pristine condition will retain its value without the original packing and paper work.

(note: today values have significantly been reduced due to the great accessiblity of antiques and dolls online. Whether your doll can actually fetch this value is going to be dependant on venue.. local and specialty venues are going to do better today then general online sales.)

Best wishes, Dori

PS Please remember to press accept as this is the only way JA pays its experts for their time and expertise! Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dori, thank for leaving me positive feedback. I would like to do the same for you, but my aol mail won't let me for some reason. Is there another way I can leave you positive feedback through this site?

Thank you for returning. I do appreciate the feedback and so does the site. If you do not mind I will ask customer service as they know the technical options to do this.

Thanks again. Dori

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I would like to give you positive feedback, but I can't seem to get in. Probably my computer. Can you cut and past this response?

My expert, Dori, was great. She was very quick in responding to my answer and very detailed about the item in question. I would use her again.

Thank you so much. I sent this on to customer support to see if they could weighin on how to get back into feedback. These comments really support our record and we greatly appreciate them so I will see if they can help you. I do not think that they can cut and paste in a response. Dori

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I hope they can, because other than that, I am at a loss. I really do like the way you helped me. My apologies if this doesn't work out! Elaine