TaxTom, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Years of experience of finding questions for employeers, family and friends.
Type Your Question Here...

I am a Canadan Citizen and I just got married to an American.

I am a Canadan Citizen and I just got married to an American. My husband has gone back to the states and will be applying for I-130. We read online that the receipt for this takes arund 2-3 weeks and after which he can file for the K-3 via I-129. Now, I was planning to go visit him in August. I know I am not allowed to enter the US to reside during this process, but is a visit in August for 2 weeks okay? I will be back in Canada to work and I will have proof of that.

In what circumstance can I make my visit in August possible - delayed application of I-130, delayed applcation of I-129 or a petition?

Category: General
Expert:  TaxTom replied 5 years ago.

TaxTom :

Hello, You do not lose your rights to visit the United States just because you are married. You need your normal documents to cross the border but that is all that is necessary. You would give your reason at the border that you are on vacation or visiting relatives. Thanks Tom

But I read somewhere that I can't enter the US during the process

actually that was one of the answers I got from this site when I asked if I can enter the US

TaxTom :

I will double check

That will help. I tried an online search and on the Canadian embassy website, this is what they said for Visa exceptions: a U.S. citizen's foreign citizen spouse traveling to reside in the U.S. while awaiting final completion of the process of immigration (K-3 Visa), as well as the spouse's children (K-4 Visa) - they said that qualifies for some one who needs a visa

thank you :)

TaxTom :

Here is the information In the first paragraph it says you can visit while waiting in the first paragrapg. Enjoy your visit.

awesome :)