General Jay
General Jay, Problem Solver
Experience:  General contractor, project manager, excellent problem solving skills, retired professional athlete.
Type Your Question Here...

I have a stainless steel sink to install above a laminate countertop.

I have a stainless steel sink to install above a laminate countertop. I don't know what clips to use to secure it in the hole. It does not have a J shape or channel to hook the clips to. Any Ideas? Thanks. David
Category: General
Expert:  General Jay replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer!

If there is not a channel for the clips to attach to then it sounds like you have a self-rimming drop-in sink without clamps.

This type of sink is installed by placing it into the counter top cutout with the rim of the sink resting on the counter top. A bead of caulking is applied around the edge of the entire sink to hold the sink in place and to provide a water tight seal.

Unfortunately, clips are not going to work with the type of sink that you have because there is no place to attach the clips to on the bottom of the stainless steel sink.

Feel free to post any follow-up questions you may have.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is a small lip underneath the sink that a clip could possibly attach to but I'm not sure. I'm worried that the sink wont be stable with just calk. It's stainless steel and doesn't weigh much. Is there a caulk that is super strong or an additional way to support sink stability? Thanks.
I will research different types of clips and send you a link to a few sites. I had the understanding that there was no lip or channel to attach to. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the confusion JT. I just looked at the sink again and the lip I'm talking about is just the fold under from the top surface of the sink (not really a lip-just the excess steel folded underneath). Any really strong caulk I should get or additional means of stability I could use to secure it better? Thanks JT.

You can use an all purpose adhesive caulk to provide the bond and seal needed.

Attached is a link to the product for your review. This typically can be found at any home improvement store.