Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

I would love some excellent dutch oven recipes for meat or

I would love some excellent dutch oven recipes for meat or chicken and some tips or techniques
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi, and welcome back to Just Answer!

Would you like recipes for chicken or meat in a dutch oven to be cooked on top of the stove, in the oven, or in a slow cooker?

Thanks for all your additional detail.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
over coals. Its for a family reunion where we are camping.
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks very much for your reply with additional information.

Please give me a short while to type your detailed answer.

Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again,

Here are some great recipes for your family reunion:

Campfire Chicken

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes

Serves 4-6

• 1 whole chicken, cut up into eighths (including giblets, if you like)
  • 1 cup flour
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 teaspoon rosemary
  • 1 teaspoon thyme
  • 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1 can condensed soup, cream of celery, cream of chicken, or cream of mushroom

Mix flour with the spices, salt and pepper. Heat oil in Dutch oven. Coat chicken with flour mixture and fry in oil until slightly browned. Remove any excess oil from the Dutch oven. Arrange all the chicken in the Dutch oven with largest pieces near the bottom and side. Cover with the can of condensed soup of your choice. Cover with lid and simmer over low heat for about one hour. If using hot coals, ensure that there are enough to keep the Dutch oven hot. When done, remove chicken from the Dutch oven and serve with sauce/juices ladled over, as a gravy.
Camper's Chicken Paprikash

Prep Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours

Servings: 4-5

• 1 large 2-4 pound fryer chicken, cut into eighths
  • 1 cup Crimini or white mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
  • 1 medium sweet onion, chopped into slices/wedges
  • 1/3 cup best quality paprika
  • dash parsley
  • 1 teaspoon dill weed
  • 1 large can chicken broth
  • small carton sour cream
  • wide egg noodles
  • flour
  • oil
Dredge washed, patted dry chicken pieces in flour, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Warm Dutch oven over coals and add small amount of olive oil, enough to cover bottom of pan with a scant 1/2 inch of oil. Brown fryer pieces when oil is heated, crisping all sides. Remove to platter or piece of foil. Add mushrooms and sweet onion (I prefer Walla Walla or Vidalia) to the Dutch oven, browning mushrooms and cooking onions until soft. Be sure not to burn onions. Add some sliced carrots (about 1/3 cup), if you like. The carrots should be cooked with the rest of the veggies.

When onions are soft and mushrooms are crisp on the edges, add the paprika. This should be enough to coat the onion and mushrooms well. Return the chicken to the Dutch oven and stir to coat well. Add the entire can of broth, which should come close to covering the fryer parts and vegetables. Add a dash of parsley and a teaspoon of dill weed, adjusting to taste. Simmer over fire for another 90 minutes, occasionally stirring and turning the Dutch oven to avoid hot spots, until chicken is well cooked.

15 minutes prior to dinner, boil noodles in salted water until al dente. Drain and keep warm. (you can bring the noodles from home, already made, and just warm through)

Take 2 tablespoons of flour and mix in a small bowl with the carton of sour cream until well incorporated. Remove chicken parts to platter. Spoon about a cup of liquid from the pot into the sour cream and flour and work in until thinned. Add a second cup of oven liquid, making sure no lumps remain. Add immediately to the Dutch oven, cooking over low heat until the mixture thickens into "paprikash" gravy.

To serve, spoon noodles onto large bowls or plates. Ladle "paprikash" gravy onto noodles, place chicken parts on top, and finish off with another ladle full of gravy.
Here are some additional recipes with beef and chicken:

Check out other recipes here:

Tip: bring all ingredients already prepared for cooking; cut up your vegetables at home and transport in plastic containers in your cooler, along with your prepped meat.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns by clicking 'Reply'.
I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.

***If you wish to request me in the future, please type 'FOR CHER' at the beginning of your question***

Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!
Best regards,