Joan
Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
5071285
Type Your Question Here...

Got rust stains on my best white jeans while moving a metal

Got rust stains on my best white jeans while moving a metal planter. Most came out but there are about a dozen pinhead-size orange spots that won't budge. I used Clorox bleach, OxiClean hot water soak overnight, hydrogen peroxide and Fannazle stain remover. Is there anything else you can suggest to remove these stains?
Category: General
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

You can try a product called Zud which is Oxalic Acid which breaks down rust. You will need to be cautious using this product. You can try a simple home remedy by pouring some plain table salt on the flattened areas of your jeans. Pour the salt in a pile and then pour the lemon juice over the stain. Allow it to sit for 30 mins and then rinse the mixture out. This should help remove the rust. You can even lay the pants in the sun with the salt and lemon juice to help the sun to bleach it out. Joan

http://www.ehow.com/how_4614994_rust-spots-out-clothing.html

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm trying it right now - hot, sunny day here, so I hope that helps too. Thanks.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

It sounds like you tried a lot of things, I too hope this works! I had to use it when we had well water and had some success. Joan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, it didn't help and, unfortunately, now there's a large yellow stain over the rust spots from the lemon juice.Cry. I sprayed again with Finazzle (hydroactive enzyme-based laundry stain remover, according to the label) and not sure what to try next. Any ideas?
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

The next thing would be the Zud. It works on tough rust stains. The problem with Zud is to use sparingly as it is made mor for porcelain and hard surfaces. Have you tried just a soak in bleach water and then just wash it out again. Rust is the toughest stain to get rid of. Joan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll try both. Not sure what "...basic first aid and not meant to replace seeing a qualified veterinarian..." above is all about.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

I am also a Vet Tech and that is my closing statement, when I answer for a pet question. I click it off when doing the general category, but sometimes there is a computer glitch. It should be gone now. Joan