Ellen, Consultant
Experience:  attorney and legal researcher
Type Your Question Here...

Good Morning My question is about a engagment ring. I gave

Good Morning
My question is about a engagment ring. I gave my girlfreind an engagement ring and low and behold two years later we split up, So when i asked her about the ring she siad she sold it. The ring is a spence diomond . they have a pollicy that alows you to trade in if you wish. If this is the opption that she took, the ring is in my name would spence diamonds have to contact me first. befor this could happen? if they did the trade without contacting me do i have any legal opptions with spence? If she pawned it ? Or is just a suck it up and walk away thing? The value of the ring is $7500.00.
Category: General
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

An engagement ring is considered a conditional gift. A gift that is conditioned on the marriage. If the marriage does not take place for any reason, the gift fails and the ring must be returned. Therefore your remedy is to file suit
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thanks for that.

Can you tell me about the spence question . Do they have to tell me if there was a trade? thanks Jim

Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
I don't know whether they would be to tell you whether there was a trade -- it would depend upon whether they knew that the ring was owned by you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks i think i will check that out first. then decide what to do! Stay singel might be the best answer of all (:

Thanks so much have a nice day!