Ellen, Consultant
Experience:  attorney and legal researcher
Type Your Question Here...

what effect will filing a bifurcation (status only) have on

what effect will filing a bifurcation (status only) have on my ability to file bankruptcy? Divorce is in California.

So sorry to hear of your dilemma. I will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you. If my answer is not clear to you, I encourage you to ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

The bifurcation of your marriage would allow you to file for bankruptcy as an unmarried person.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've been told that, during the bifurcation hearing, the judge will often institute restrictions on what the two parties can do in between when the status dissolution is granted and the other issues (financial, custody, etc) are finalized. I was worried that the judge might file something saying that i couldn't file. Ideally I'd like to file as an unmarried person and I'm aware of the risks that my spouses portion of the debt might follow me, but its worth it to get everything over.
It is possible, but not likely, that the judge will order they do not file bankruptcy until the finances have been adjudicated