Kim D., Consultant
Experience:  Researcher 25 yrs in small and large institutions
49865320
Type Your Question Here...

I need help identifying a big antique jug

Category: General
Expert:  Kim D. replied 5 years ago.

Would you be able to share with me an image of this and the mark? this would help greatly in narrowing what you have.Dori

The paper clip tool on the tool bar is one option for graphics. If the image is too large you might try my favorite site for images, photobucket. It is free and easy to use. Here are some simple directions.

Upload your image to the free photo sharing site photobucket and create an album. Return here and give me your non email user name and password XXXXX I can easily go to your album. PS User names must not be email passwords but a word or numbers as JA will not allow emails to be seen in these text boxes.

Expert:  Kim D. replied 5 years ago.

I was thinking about this and the more I researched the clear it becomes that what you have is a five gallon stoneware jug from the The Nelson McCoy Sanitary Stoneware Company. This was the mark that they put on their early stoneware before they became the Nelson McCoy company that we all know out of Roseville,Ohio for its fun and colorful cookie jars. The mark from this period was stamped in blue ink and he number was the amount of gallons that it held.

This would date tightly between 1929 when Nelson McCoy started marking its ware to 1933 when it changed is name and is marks.

Previous to this period the company did not mark its ware but was started in 1910 when Nelson McCoy Sr. and his father started the company with five stockholders. They closed in 1919 and joined eleven other potteries under the American Clay Products Company and relocated to Zanesville, Ohio but returned to their name to re establish its own identity in 1929 and then changes its name to Nelson McCoy Pottery Company in 1933.

I hope that helps.

Best wishes, Dori

PS Please remember to press accept as this is the only way JA pays its experts for their time and expertise! Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how much is this jug worth?
Expert:  Kim D. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the follow up question.

These McCoy jugs are collectible but not as collectible as cobalt designed examples from other companies. They come up on the auction market the last 10 years for 50-65.00 depending on the venue and condition.

If you sell make sure your McCoy history is attached to it. Collectors would have an interest in this Ohio company.

Best wishes, Dori