Kim D., Consultant
Experience:  Researcher 25 yrs in small and large institutions
Type Your Question Here...

I am planting a large (3.5 caliper) crabapple tree. The root

I am planting a large (3.5" caliper) crabapple tree. The root ball has a heavy gage wire basket woven into the dirt. The spaces between the wires form openings that are roughly 10 inches square. Do I need to remove the wire before planting the tree? Doing so will greatly disturb the dirt around the root ball.
Category: General
Expert:  Kim D. replied 5 years ago.

Certainly not. You are correct. I would not suggest removing the wire basket at this point. I would proceed with planting the tree. The basket is now giving stability to the trunk and its roots. Any major disruption would be harmful.

Best wishes, Dori

PS Please remember to press accept as this is the only way JA pays its experts for their time and expertise! Thank you.