Family Physician, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Researching answers to questions online for 20+ years.
Type Your Question Here...

hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX have been talking to a lady who claims

hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX have been talking to a lady who claims to be in spain working as a mission teacher if she is all she says she is Im totally in love her job means she isbroke with immegreation and air fare she would like 3210dollarsshe says she has 250 euros and a matron willgive her 300 dollars she is asking to use western union she sent all info from her id name address ect. I can afford to send and loose the money but whant to be careful and not get my heart broke as well as my wallet she had me email her mom two or three times but I know that means nothing can you help me? Her name is XXXXX XXXXX morgan mom sonya morgan she says she was born i austrila lived in south africa Missionary father late XXXXX XXXXX her mother says she would like to help but is un able.
Category: General
Expert:  Family Physician replied 5 years ago.
The story that you present is the classic romance scam. These scams are frequently organized by professionals. You may not even be communicating with a woman, but someone posing as the "love of your life".

These scams can involve hundreds or even thousands of victims. Your "lady friend" might be communicating with dozens or hundreds of men at the same time, giving each exactly what they want to hear, and asking for money using the same or different excuses from each victim.

The US Department of State and other government agencies have issued warning about these all too common scams:

This individual is setting the bait, and you are the fish about to take the bait and the hook. Sending any money will likely result in requests for even more money (it will get "lost", "stolen", there will be some "medical emergency", "family emergency" etc) OR you may end up getting your identity stolen - with your bank account being emptied out, your credit ruined and your life savings drained.